Sunday 15 January 2012

Day 20 - Madam De Nile and saying Goodbye to my Mother!

"I took a last look around the countryside aware that something was going on!  There was more than the eye could meet.  Nearing the top of the slope I turned to the right and noticed split sticks with a piece of paper containing words at intervals with more of the same containing messages that could be arranged pertaining to assembly points and times of droppings.

I walked on until I came to an open field, more like a short landing strip to me, which indeed it was.  After all this I came back to my starting point and noticed a little hamlet almost hidden by the foliage which stirred my curiousity.  I first went to the Cafe-Bistro where some of the locals were playing billiards and they invited me to have a game.  It is probable that they had seen me and had watched my movements for a while before this.  After a few pernods, we chatted away and it turned out that they decided to take me into their confidence.  They were doing resistance work and were interested in getting new recruits.

After taking my leave, I was glad of the information I had gathered and quickly left Gourcy-aux Loges bearing in mind that the trail I had recently found was not because of my friend George!  I returned to Compiegne junction to get the first train back to Brussels.  I was lucky because my pass was in good order still and I found no harrassment on the train.

I went straight to my Aunt Helen and after a good reception and telling them of my urgency to get to England because of my close association with George and his pursuers.  My Aunt got someone to come over who cross-examined me and asked all about the information I had gathered in Soissons, concerning the cables and bunkers in the ridge.  It turned out that this area was intended to be used for some of the new weapons they had in mind and the General Headquarters which were to be installed there in case of an invasion.

The lady in question was told by my aunt of my wish to get to England and the fact that I was being pursued because of my previous exploits.  She looked me straight in the eye and said: "You go to St. Jean-De.Luz, to Hotel-Du-Tourisme and tell them you are sent by me - mentioning her name, Madam De Nile, and that was it; for all the contacts I had had this one was the most important and I just knew I had to take her advice...

With this information I proceeded on my way to Ostend, looked up George but he had literally gone underground and instead I met Daniel who had just received his shoes and papers, ready to be transported to Germany...  "There is no time to lose" I said, "ÿou come with me"!

At this point, it was the goodbye's to my mother that I will remember for ever, she knew that something was in the offing and came with me to the small cross-country train which I was taking as a precaution.  The departure was very moving of course, like the soldiers going to the front in "Farewell to Arms".......



To be continued ...

No comments:

Post a Comment