Friday 20 January 2012

Day 24 - Caught in the Dragnet!

"The train started moving, nobody got off and the Gestapo officer started going from compartment to compartment and when he saw us he shouted, "Don't Move!" and took our papers away from us.  Soldiers were guarding the corridors all along the speeding train.  We were trapped like a bunch of herded animals.  I could have kicked myself.  The Gestapo officer rushed to the rear of the train using the same tactics.  I said to Daniel "Come with me into the corridor, never mind the papers and luggage", but he was so slow!

We chatted to a young soldier and he took us to be one of them.  I then checked the next door from my position to where Daniel stood talking and made a sign for him to come over.  I already had the handle in my hand but Daniel was too slow! I was just about to utter the word, "jump"", when all of a sudden a Gestapo came in, Luger in hand, pointed at us and harshly told the soldier off and shouting at us, "what in the hell do you think you are doing up there"?

Too late now we had lost our chance, we were pushed into the compartment again and within a few minutes another victim was pushed around by the Gestapo officer's helpers and came into our compartment.  This woman turned out to be the real prey they were after, we were just extra fish caught in the dragnet.  Now I wondered whether he recognized us from before!

About fifteen of us were caught, that is a considerable haul, I think.  From then on the Gestapo man got very pompous and busy.  Chiefly, interrogating the woman and concentrating on her.  She was still young but not a teenager  either.  I never got her name, it wouldn't have been real anyway.  According to our Gestapo man she turned out to be an agent or a spy.  Looking at her intently and then back to us he said, "it is because of people like you that these boys are going to be shot, now"!

Well, on this there was no doubt whatsoever about our fate.  I had had enough of Daniel dragging his feet and it was now everbody for himself, now to make the best of it and to get away when the first opportunity arose.

The trip to Biarritz was very sombre if not depressing; the sun was shining, the shimmering haze clearing up over the countryside making it even brighter.  No concerted attempt was made to escape by those individuals left to their own thoughts as he disappeared from our compartment to others.  Obviously he had other victims who were just as important.

It was a pity because it had to be done now as it was probably the best moment to escape while were were still fit.  I thought we could jump the guards and gestapo and in the confusion roll off the train into the isolated countryside -  using the free ride to get closer to our destination.  The massacre would be ugly but what were the odds!  Each individual had their own knowledge of what awaited them as well as torture and afterwards execution.  In this way we reached Biarritz junction and I had just seen a glimmer of sunlight reflecting on what looked like a small yacht harbour or bay full of white painted boats whose brilliance caused me to shade my eyes.

I knew the Gestapo in the occupied zones were stretched to breaking point so I had to quickly look for an opportunity.  I had previously heard of patriots being caught in the fields being made to dig their own graves before being shot.  This thought made me even more determined.  As the train came to a stop we were herded off and lined up in the hall under the scrutiny and watchful eyes of the guards, rifles at the ready.

There were people behind the guards and I noticed an elderly woman wearing sunglasses that nodded as she made a recognition amongst us.  We were marched off now and I saw more of the bay to my right which I tried to memorise.  I made up my mind that this would be the place to make a get-a-way.  I would dive into the water and swim just below the surface and  advance under water to just the other side of the boats.  I had trained for that and liked it.  I would have to get rid of my clothes under water as they would become heavy.  If they were shooting the bullets would be ricocheting on the surface and they would think after a while that I had drowned.

Afterwards I found out that there was no water behind the quay at all, just soft mud, which I couldn't see from where I was walking, nothing but quagmire and very smelly mud with rocks scattered here and there around.
That would have been the end of the road for me

So in a little while we arrived at the hotel, their centre for all operations in the region.  It was quite a famous hotel because of King Edward the Seventh holidaying there and that was it's name.  Now it was the Gestapo's headquarters.

I looked very intently around before entering to assess the situation ..."


To be continued ....

No comments:

Post a Comment